Monday, December 8, 2008

My Bio

First and last name:

Jesus “Jesse” Martinez

Hometown:

Grand Junction, CO

Major(s):

IDP: Political Sociology

Favorite class:

Political Theory

Background:

I have lived in Denver since 2003 and made my way out here by mere fact that I was ready for something new, a bit of a change. I moved to the Mile High City and I enrolled at Metro State to continue seeking my degree. But, as life happens, I began a journey of working a full-time job, paying the bills, and defining who I was as a person--someone living in the “real world”.
I dropped out of school and I took the not-so-easy route. During these rough times, I felt worthless and a failure, but somehow I remained poised and resilient. While reflecting on these moments, I learned about my own integrity. To me life was so much more than a course. It was about discovering who I was and living in the moment. Coming out of the closet to admit to myself I was gay, proving my credibility at work and taking unexpected criticism. I held on to the last bit of thread that still believed I was the same person who desired more for his life than what was perceived. This is what I had to discover.

Upon my reflection, I chose to return back to school and finish my degree. It was a challenge to my resilient self—can I duke it out? Of course, so this leads me here. Currently, I am a junior and majoring in political sociology, a degree I created through the IDP program. I am involved on campus as a senator for the Metro State Student Government Assembly, where I hope to get more students involved on campus. I have a couple part-time jobs outside of school, which keep me busy and allow me to grow in my skill and talents. Overall, my ultimate career goal is to be a part of a nonprofit organization that also introduces public policy. I want to have a career where I work for a nonprofit that focuses on societal problems, develops solutions for combating these social ills and sustains its work though public policy.

Favorite quote:

”What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Why I am excited about being part of “The Apprentice Challenge @ Metro State”:

I am excited about being a part of the “Apprentice Challenge” because I have always been a hands- on learner and what better opportunity to learn and apply what you know than this challenge? I eagerly await my full involvement with my peers in representing Metro State College while proposing ideas that might help shape different sectors in our community. I am excited about working with my peers, but most of all, I anticipate the chance to put myself to the test.

Why I should win "The Apprentice Challenge @ Metro State"

Resiliency is the ability to bounce back in times of adversity. This is a characteristic I represent. Driven to the challenge, I feel confident in my skills and abilities, but I know there is always room for growth. Overall, I am lead by the struggles that I have had to overcome and ready to take on the fear of the unknown. Many times we can’t see beyond our own clouded perception, a barrier that blocks our sight. But, as time passes, we begin to see our obstacles through a different lens, one that allows us to see it as a personal challenge rather than a burden. In the end, success begins with me and I am optimistic and ready for the unexpected. This is why I think I can be the next “Apprentice”.

No comments: