Friday, February 6, 2009

Skiing... So I'm not a Pro!

Our Reward Continued: After hearing that our reward was a ride on the SKI TRAIN to Winter Park to go skiing... I thought well done it before once so maybe its like riding a bike? NOT.

Rallying the Troops: In our reward package, we recieved a ticket on the SKI TRAIN, Free Rental Equpitment, and our lift ticket. Not really reading my packet, the idea popped into my head Saturday mid-day, that I should!

In reading my packet I found out that I needed to pick up my ski rental by 8:00pm. Thinking my compadres didn't read there stuff either I texted my fellow challengers stating "hav u pickd up ur ski rentals?"

In reply, my phone buzzes with texts!


"No, what do ya' mean?" Rallying the troops to get their ski rentals I alerted my amigos before the store closed. But, for me I ran out of time because I had to go to work! So I had to rent my skiis in Winter Park!

Early Morning: Freaking out because at the last minute I decided to find my ski pants, I rampaged through my drawers and possible places (thinking if I were my ski pants where would be?) Remembering I packed them in a box of clothes I rarely need, I found them!

All Aboard: Arriving at Union Station I walk in to find Felipe just ahead of me. Bundled from head to toe, we boarded Car #7 to find our seats! The ride took approximately 2 hours or so and the train even had a food car where you can purchase hot chocolate, coffee and breakfast burritos. Chantay, Felipe and Mr. Anderson all went to get food. I got a breakfast burrito and a hot chocolate. We all sat down in at a table and talked. Being bundled and sipping on my hot chocolate wasn't the best combo--I was burning up! One thing I most enjoyed about the train was the scenic views and before I knew it we were 5 Minutes away from Winter Park.

Winter Park: We arrived and it was cold! Walking to the resort we all scurried to get lockers. For me I had to find where the ski rental shop was so I could rent my skis. Taking about 25 minutes I got sized up and walked out in my boots to stick my bag in my locker.

Ready to Ski: Walking with our skis to the bunny slope, we got tips from Mr. Anderson aka Joshua on how to ski. Hearing phrases of "french fries" to "break like a pizza" I decided to take to "the slope" aka "the bunny hill." Having skied once before, I thought I could manage.

The Skiing Experience: We were all beginners and the day was all about staying on our two skis and for some their board. Having control was another objective for the day. After attempting a few runs, we helped one another learn how to ski. Chantay and Felipe have never skied before, but they definately worked at it!

After Lunch: Eating lunch at DOC's shack or "??" we had the bright idea of hitting the mountain. With support from Mr. Anderson he coached us on taking the lift and identifying our "Easy" slope. Chantay and I rode with Joshua telling us the in's and out's of exiting our lift chair.... "Poles in one hand, prepare to stand, stand, lift pushes you a little and your off!"

On the Mountain: When we arrived the slopes looked pretty level for us. Chantay and I thought this was the next best thing to the bunny hill. Waiting for Felipe, Cindy and her sister we examined which way we wanted to head down or more like which way were we suppose to go?

The Slope: So we met up with our counterparts and they weren't ready to ski yet. So Chantay and I decided to ski the slope. You got to remember this is Chantay's first time and she is still mastering the pizza break. For me I was trying to master the control my my speed. Skiing past me, Chantay heads down the slope. I follow her and she breaks. Thinking we should wait to see when Felipe and the others are coming down we head toward their ski area. Skiing to their direction we notice it was getting a little steep. Going first I realized it was STEEP! Going down the hill I crashed and burned, I didn't know I was that flexible...Comotion of arms, legs, skis and poles :) Laughing from up above me is Chantay not even wanting to head down the steep hill we came to a full realization that this was STEEP!

Our Volunteer Guide: Seeing both of us, a volunteer ski guide watched us from across the slope. Skiing to me after my crash and burn, we await Chantay's decent. I ask her about the level of slope and she said it was fairly easy. She ends up telling Chantay and I if we want to take an easy route to go up a ski lift just below us and take Mounting Flats or Billy Bob something trail.

Practice doesn't neccessarily mean Perfect?:
We take her advise and ski to the ski lift so that we can return to where we started. Thinking we took the wrong slope for our level, we took a seat on the lift to hit the easy slope.

Getting ready to exit the chair, Chantay loses her poles and I look to see where they go. Thinking on instinct, I remember Joshua's steps on exiting the lift... Poles in one hand, ready to stand, stand, lift pushes you a little and your off!--Wait we totally missed the first step. So thinking I better stand up and take off, the lift chair was already making a turn and it body slams me to the snow--Ouch!!

Picking my head up, all I see is the bottom of Chantay's skis. Laughing uncontrollably, Chantay, the Ski Lift guy and I couldn't catch our breaths from laughing. Chantay was ok and so was I. Getting ourselves together, the ski lift guys says "You guys had a rough start" and that wasn't the end of this story either.

Skiing... So I'm not a Pro!: Heading on our way we took to the easy slope. Skiing first, I state "We should head in this direction" while Chantay says "We should go the other way, it says easy." Thinking we could do it, I put us on another steep slope--one that reminded me of a waterslide. So Chantay is like "No...not doing it." So I take my skis off and we walk up the hill where the easy slope begins. As we click on our skis, Chantay says "she's going to lead" so I follow. Asking for our next easy slope, the ski lift girl tells us that's it... following her pointing gesture, our eyes are set on a steep slope for our journey down the mountain. Knowing there was no way we were going to get off the mountain with out a steep hill I embraced the "pizza break." Falling a few times. We ended up down the mountain making our final slope, the bunny hill. Thinking about it we probably spent a good hour or more on the mountain trying to get down.

Boots Off, Shoes On: Glad to be back on the leveled ground, we headed to our lockers to change into shoes. Using every muscle to "pizza break," I was exhausted and already feeling sore.

Heading Home: Meeting up on Car #7, we fell right into our seats for a welcoming 2 hour ride back home. Felipe and I decided to head to food car and get something to eat. Upon getting our food, we sat down to talk. Talking all the way home we reflected on our Food Bank challenge and the funny moments of day. As I thought about it, I realized the signficance of this experience. Many times in my political science courses we talk about democracy and this idea of individualism. I realize we must find ourselves out of nothing, but why is it so hard to relate. If we are to keep an open mind about different lifestyles and opinons than all we need to do is share. Everytime I have the opportunity to sit down and get to know my fellow challenges and staff. I began to learn how simple we really are, even though we may hold titles or be seen as "bossy" there is a whole history to our individualism. We have great stories to tell and there is an illumination behind our words when we speak. I am glad to be a part of this experience because for the first time I feel like I can be open and share the real me.

Next.... Project 2 Kickoff: My Team!!

No comments: