Saturday, April 25, 2009

What happens when we're gone?

It takes a village... What I most admire about organizations making a difference in the lives of kids is that in every effort they mobilize the entire community to allow kids the opportunity to dream big. That after every brainstorm they take on inevitable to remove barriers and daily struggles so that hope no longer exists and the stars are no longer out of reach but the possibilities are endless.

This is what its all about: After graduating from high school a few years back (my friends would say add more years!) I decided to volunteer as an AmeriCorps VISTA member (like Peace Corps for US) for my local school district, Mesa County Valley School District #51.

In doing so I was in charge of integrating service-learning in seven schools, ranging from elementary to high school. During my year of service and only making $800 a month, I realized that it really does take a village to raise a child. Getting the community involved to take learning outside the school, we applied school lessons to community service projects in the community by integrating service with academic standards. Towards the end of my 1st year of service I worked with three main schools as a site coordinator. I had the opportunity to work with an amazing woman at Dos Rios Elementary named Sarah Hutchinson. Still trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and what to study in college, she encouraged me to work with her for another year of service as an AmeriCorps member but solely at Dos Rios.

I took her offer and devoted my time to the Dos Rios Elementary Family Resource Center where she mentored me. I learned so much from her and she believed in me. We were two peas in a pod. We both were visionaries and believers that nothing is impossible. I give much credit to my life mentor Sarah for believing in me. She entrusted me to oversee the student youth council, assist in the planning and coordination of the Family Resource Center (FRC) and developing an After School program. The funniest thing is that I used to go to this elementary school and the principal that I had, Mr.Phillips was still there. He too believed in me and assigned the task of developing the school's after school program simply by his trust.

With 70% of the students having Free or Reduced Lunch, the mission of the FRC was modeled after Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Provide basic needs from tooth brushing, a change of clothing, to offering a safe place for children to talk. By focusing on basic needs, the child was able to focus on learning rather than being sick or shoes with holes in them.

This was my beginning: This is where I began my commitment to service. And my journey and experience comes full circle with being able to help out with project 4. But, I will always have a special place for Sarah who I will always call my boss and Mr. Phillips who trusted me.

What happens when we're gone? Even though our projects only last 3 weeks, I chose to make a lasting impact by compiling the team's sustainability plan. So that when we leave Castro, Knapp and Monroe Elementary that we can provide recommendations and the framework for Live Well Westwood to begin a walking and healthy living program in partnership with these schools.

From kids, parents, teachers, principals and the community: It takes a village. And I am glad to help build community so that one child can dream big!

No comments: